Thursday, October 23, 2008

Top Five Albums of 2008

Just because I'm a music nerd...

In no particular order:


1. The Dutchess and The Duke: She's the Dutchess, He's the Duke (I've said it before and I'll say it again, thank you Jane for this little gem. I can't stop listening to it and it just makes me want to pick up the guitar again specifically so I can learn these songs. "Strangers" and "I Am Just a Ghost" are high on my list of favorites songs from the year.)


2. Los Campesinos: Hold On Now, Youngster (Shake Shake Shake your fanny all night long! Thanks Uncle Jim!)


3. Eli "Paperboy" Reed and The True Loves: Roll With You (I have a tendancy to buy whatever the guys at Laurie's Planet of Sound in Lincoln Square tell me I should buy. Thus I met Mr. Reed and his True Loves. G Damn it, this album is magic and makes me want to sing.)


4. Juno: Soundtrack (This one just gives me simple warm fuzzes. Thank ya Kimya Dawson.)

5. Pete and The Pirates: Little Death (Once again thanks to Uncle Jim for this one. There are mornings where I find it difficult to listen to this album and not break out dancing on the 147 bus to work. If these boys ever make it to Chicago I will stop everthing to see them. And I'll drag you with me. Oh yes. YOU.)

Runners Up:

- Sharon Jones and The Dap Kings: Naturally. (Didn't make the list only because it was not released in 2008)

- Flight of the Conchords: Flight of the Conchords. (For as much as I love it, I don't feel 100% right about including a comedy album in the top five. Although "Leggy Blonde" is rather pricless.)

- Slow Club....I can't seem to locate a full album, therefore they don't qualify this time around, but rest assured if an album appears before the year is out I have no doubt that one of the current top five might get booted.

- Hot Hot Heat: Happiness Ltd. (Effen awesome album, but I find myself listening to only a couple songs on thier own rather than the album as a whole, but still....fucking brillant tunes.)

- Long Blondes: Couples. (Very different from their first album Someone To Drive You Home. A little more eletronic, a little more clubby, but still something to shake your fanny to. Too bad they just broke up. Sad face.)

- Radiohead: In Rainbows (...why the "f" isn't this in the top five? Just on principle...)

5a. Radiohead: In Rainbows
(I don't want to be your friend
I just want to be your lover
No matter how it ends
No matter how it starts

Forget about your house of cards
And I'll do mine
Forget about your house of cards
And I'll do mine
-House of Cards)


xoxo,
*M*

No comments: